Feedback – as they say – is a gift, but only when given correctly. If delivered incorrectly, it can hurt and discourage the person, instead of helping them grow.
So how to properly give feedback? And how to make sure a person doesn’t take it personally but listens to you?
Here are 6 tips that I’ve been using and that help me give a constructive feedback without jeopardising the relationship with others:
1. Be confident when giving feedback.
2. Comment on both the negative and positive aspects.
3. Talk only about the person’s behavior, not the person themselves.
4. Make sure your feedback is relevant to the person; make it personal.
5. Discuss their work and personal goals and help them achieve them.
6. Follow up.
Watch the short video below for more: